Monday, October 22, 2007

Prof. Nixon Kariithi is still keen with AEEN!!

Silver Bugingo of Rwanda appears to have exchanged some correspondence with Prof Kariithi.
Read below:
Chao
John Zambia


Dear Silver,

Thanks for the message below. I do not know what happened to the EU magazine. I was only sending through a message, but was not responsible for anything about the publication.

But I am interested in discussing with you the fate of AEEN. I founded AEEN in 1999, and run it pretty much as a personal project for six years. When I got extremely busy and was having problems keeping everything going (to the point that even my personal affairs were affected) I turned to AEEN members to assist but we didn't get anywhere with that. Worse, we tried to get members to keep talking so that we could show their activities to potential funders but got nowhere with this either. I personally do not remember reading any contribution from you at all..

The death of AEEN does not concern me. I did what I did for six years to show that it is possible to get African journalists to work together. Not one journalist ever paid to come down for the annual conference and pre-conference training that we carried out.

I am interested in finding African journalists who are still committed to this cause and are willing to commit themselves to actively contributing to the discussions and other activities. Are you willing?

Let's keep talking.

Nixon
___________________________________________________
Professor Nixon K. Kariithi
Associate Professor of Journalism and Media Studies
Media Studies Discipline
School of Literature and Language Studies
University of the Witwatersrand
Private Bag 3, Wits 2050, South Africa
Tel: +27 11 717-4112
Fax: +27 11 717-4149
Cell: +27 82 806-7688
Email: nixon.kariithi@wits.ac.za or nixonkk@yahoo.com




Good afternoon comrade Chola and all,
I honestly wish to advise each and every member of the great AEEN to desist from aportioning blame to any third paties but rather to our entire team becuase if we do not look at it as joint venture, well may not move any step forward!! I agree with some of the members like comrade Jeff Kabembwa that the initial organisational structure was tempolary, the mamagement team were volunteers without any remunerations e.t.c which technically made a seasonal event that relied on sponsors.
So these are the organisational weaknesses that we should carefully review and amicably agree on the practicable way forward for I personally believe that making an error is human but repeating an error should be viewed as a crime. I totally agree with the view of some serious comrades that we should solicit sponsorship after making a foundation in form of membership fee and after rejuvenating the organisationall structures.
For those who sound like blaming Prof. Nixon Kariithi, he is a founder member, has done all he could ever since its birth in 1999 until he got extremely busy with official duties as a lecturer. He indeed turned to us members to rlender a hand to no avail, so who is to blame?
Below is the most recent e-mail I got from him. Please read carefully and think about the solution.
Good bless you all.
Silver Bugingo
Rwanda News Agency
CELL.:+250-08760723
Kigali-Rwanda

1 comment:

alfoncembizwo said...

I watched Prof Kariithi on SABC International's Timeline on Friday night, discussing his new book on economic journalism. from his analysis, it appears he drew a lot from AEEN experiences. It would be great to have the book available to network members.


Alfonce, Zimbabwe